Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fat Gal in a Little Boat

 

Yup - that's me in a little boat! I finally took my basic rowing class - or sculling, which refers to a boat where rowers each have two oars. So in other words - I have both oars in the water. Ha!
 

The hardest part was getting in and out of the boat. This was the part I dreaded most. I really didn't want to make a spectacle of myself and dump right by the dock. We had to perform a swim check the first evening. Water was cold, but refreshing. My swimming skills are far superior to my rowing skills.
 

There were four of us in the class - 4 nights for 2 hours. There was so much terminology to learn. I was ready to quit after the second night and switch to kayaking - which is waaaaayyy easier. But I stuck it out and have the bruises and sore muscles to prove it (bruises from oars hitting my stomach, and carrying the boat). There is a ton of finesse to stroking the oars - when to "feather" (blades flat on the surface), when to "catch" (the actual stroke when the blade is squared in the water), how to "check it down" (blades flat in the water after a stroke to stop the boat), and how to "wain-nuff" (stopping and resting with blades flat on the surface of water). There is a whole rowing language all by itself.
It was a fun experience and totally delightful to be out on Lake Natoma - dammed part of American river just before Nimbus Dam. The weather was perfect and the scenery beautiful. Our last evening, we rowed out about 1km upriver and there were geese flying overhead - one landed on the water, just a few yards from me. Sunset was gorgeous. Rowing is an odd sensation, once you learn to use the seat, and roll forward. You have the feeling you are not moving on the water, until you look at the landscape going by. I will definately go out again, but I need someone to go with me, so it will be more fun (Andrea?).
Oh yeah - I came up with lots of spiritual analogies while rowing. You are facing backwards and can't see what is ahead, so you have to select a spot on the horizon to focus on, to keep a straight course. The slightest deviation from that course will put you in harm's way ( buoys, shoals, other boats). And . . . did you know there are traffic lanes on lakes and rivers?
A Big Thank You to all my fam who contributed to my lessons! I like knowing I now have a skill none of you possess-hehe!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

emaalyon said...

Fun times!! I'm glad you did it and have acquired a new skill. Kinda neat. And Brock IS pretty good looking; I could see him in one of the pics. Hehe

J and C said...

Mom- I am jealous. It looks like you had a lot of fun! I am glad that the gift turned out great and that you enjoyed doing something different...now we all have to start thinking of how to top it...and glad you did't fall in! (Oh and now I am singing that song in my head...ugh....)

Rearun said...

Anyone want to spring for lessons for me?

The blogging Bakers said...

Laurie-that sounds so fun. It is kind of fun to try new things. I think we should all do that more often. Cute pictures!

meg.. said...

I'm so glad you finally did this. It looks like so much fun - I wish I could come and do it with you.

Jared and Debbie said...

Well, clearly I'm not the adventure seeker in the bunch :), because I'm thinking...how brave! How brave to try something so new! But it does sound like a lot of fun and also wonderful. I loved to hear what it was like out on the water, so peaceful. I love that about nature, it is easy to feel close to the Creator and the analogies abound.

mastubz said...

Thanks for thinking I was brave - cuz I was ;) It was really scary and totally out of my comfort zone. It was also nervewracking to know the boats cost about $7,000! The 8 man boats run between $28k and $38K!!! Which is nuts, considering there is no motor. The 8 man boat crews were elegant to watch.

Shoebox Princess said...

That actually looks like fun.

(Now I will be singing "Fat Guy in a Little Coat" for days...and I can't watch "Tommy Boy" because Katie took it to Utah with her!)

Pyatt said...

I was so jealous when I saw your blog. I have been telling Dave that I would LOVE rowing lessons down at Mission Bay...someday so in the meantime I'll live vicariously through you!!!

Jenni said...

Way to "row." Cool to be doing all those fun things. I look forward to doing something fun someday. Mom and I are having fun!

Jenni said...

Hi Laurel,
As I type your name I think of Grandpa Ritchie and the impossible-to-imitate Scottish roll of the "r" when he said your name. What a fun thing to do! Sculling! There isn't a lot of water displacement in those flimsy boats, is there?
Yes, I remember shopping at Goldmans, but I hadn't thought about that hole for years. I bought a two-piece swimming suit there for under three dollars and material for a light green suit that turned out pretty well for the body I had then. Were there no shelves? I just remember rummaging through piles of fabrics with no visible organization. Were there shelves?
Jen and I went to a bookstore here because she had heard about it. Both new and used books are for sale in a maze-like, added upon and added upon plan. Thank goodness signs were posted to indicate WAY OUT. At one point, I spoke out Jen's name to find her and she didn't answer. She was only two aisles away at that point. Murders could be committed in that mess.
It is nice to be here for an extended stay (2 weeks) and be the cook and double solitaire partner for young ladies. Also found out that violin coaching by a non-violinist is possible.
The neighborhood book group is traveling to Alameda, I think that is part of San Francisco. Mary Schumacher has property there and will be our tour guide. She grew up there and her parents were founding members of a hiking lodge in the Muir Woods. We will visit the lodge and triapse around that area and also we have been promised we will visit Alcatraz. How far away from San Francisco are you????????
What did Megan think of the lodge where we spent a week for our reunion? Ten dollars a night per person in that gorgeous country was perfect.
Your family looks wholesome, happy and successful. Just as I would have predicted.
Goldmans, for Heavens sake.
Sorry I wrote so much.
Love, Kathy

mastubz said...

The Scottish brogue pronounciation of Laurel came out something like Wattle, but with an L at the beginning, and about 3 t's instead of 2. And then I always got the "Lattle - sup your egg," meaning, eat your soft boiled egg (which has had only the top of shell delicately whacked off) out of the little egg cup with the pedestal. Fun memories!