Sunday, December 7, 2008

Stake Creche Festival

Our stake has been putting on a Christmas Creche Festival for at least 10 years. Over 600 nativity scenes are on display. Most are from members of the Church, but about 30% are from non-members in the community. It runs for 4 days and several musical groups from the community perform. I have displayed my collection each year and usually find one to add each year. This year I added a handmade, crocheted nativity from my daughter, Megan. Thanks Meg, it is beautiful.
Here are a couple photos of the whole cultural hall. They go to great lengths to decorate beautifully and create a lovely environment for the displays.
 
 Here's a photo of my nativities. The Boyd's Bears nativity is always a favorite, and it is the only one of its kind on display. My oldest nativity is an Olive Wood from the Holy Land. My brother brought it back from one of his visits to Israel. I've had it for at least 20 years (I think). I also have one from Spain and Ukrainian nesting dolls from Josh and Courtney's trip to Europe, the Philippines from Jared's mission, 2 from Ecuador from Micah's mission service, two from our trip to Alaska, one from Sarah's trip to New Zealand, a German Pyramid, a triptych, pottery from New Mexico, and several ornaments I did not display this year. I cherish each of these nativities, as each has special meaning to me. There are others in the photo which do not belong to me, but were in too close proximity to keep them out of the photo.

>Posted by Picasa
 

4 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

How lovely! What a beautiful way to encourage people to ponder the true meaning of Christmas. Our ward did a small one last year and it was the best part of the ward Christmas party.

emaalyon said...

It was very nice. We would've walked around the whole cultural hall to see them all, had we not been stuck behind a bunch of old people moving soooo slow!!!! I think yours are some of the best/ coolest.

Jenni said...

Our stake in Cincinnati did this and we loved to go. I always displayed mine, too. There were some of the most amazing things there from all over the world. Some were simple, and some were worth thousands of dollars. The Relief Society room was always the "white" room. The kids always enjoyed the dress-up room and there was a photographer there to take and print pictures of each family. It is still one of my favorite pictures of the kids. Anyway, it is wonderful and I LOVED the one Megan crocheted.

erin said...

That crocheted one is fantastic. I am trying to find one that my kids can play with and not destroy! You have a phenomenal collection.