Sunday, November 23, 2008

Grandma & Grandpa Hawley


We had Grandma & Grandpa Hawley over for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner, since we will not be here to celebrate with them.
I've told them about blogs, but they didn't really get it, so I decided to show them. They had a great time viewing every one's blogs and seeing your current news. I also showed them the "comment" portion of blogging and they got a kick out of it. I asked them if they had anything they would like to include on this post and they said they would like to set the record straight about my behavior as a pre-schooler. They said if I was a bit too precocious, it was only because my brothers were mean to me. I told them I wasn't going to say that, but grandpa/dad made me promise.
They loved seeing a goodly portion of their great-grands, and wish all their grandchildren had blogs to look at.
They seem to be doing well, but have their good days and bad. All in all, they are doing well for an 88 & 89 yr old. They still go to church every Sunday, but don't always make it for the full block. Grandpa's legs are getting very weak and he has trouble walking. They both use walkers. Grandma is not nearly as sharp as she used to be, but still likes to know what is going on with people - even if you have to repeat it several times.
She got stuck in the bathroom at church today. It is too hard to explain how the stall doors got stuck, but she was in there a long time. Their previous bishop noticed her walker had been there outside the restroom for a long time, so he sent someone in to check on her. She said she was about ready to crawl under the stall door to get out. That would have been a sight!!
They send their love to all.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

Thank you so much for the photo of and the update on Grandma and Grandpa! I need to write them a letter soon.

Jenni said...

That brought tears to my eyes! Thank you so much for that post.

stubz said...

Too bad they never really caught on to the computer/internet thing. It's probably too late now to try and teach them to use a computer. Next time they're over you can try and Skype us. I'm sure they would get a kick out of that. You did that with Grandpa Stubz and that was pretty fun.

mastubz said...

Makes me wonder what technology there will be that we won't "get" in 20 yrs - if we are still around?

Dennis said...

When they lived in Utah they spent $3500. on a computer that they never got the hang of. All dad could do was play solitare. Their internet connection never worked properly and they didn't know what to do to fix it (nor did I).
I'm grateful you are close by to look after them.

Jared and Debbie said...

we really enjoyed our visits with them this summer. I felt like I got to know them better. Hannah was always so happy to see them. We got some pictures I know the kids will treasure. still haven't gotten any snail mail out their way. i hope we'll get something together by Christmas.

Rearun said...

I'm glad that I have such special memories with Grandma and Grandpa. Particularly living in their basement when Kendall was a baby. Grandma would come down to hold or just look at Kendall. She would say it made her feel younger. I also have great memories of Marleis and I going on an RV trip with them and Rodney and Marilynn along the Pacific Coast of Northern California and Oregon. Going on our RV trip last week brought back some of those memories.