Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New York, New York

When Emily asked me to meet up with her in NYC, while she was attending the SheStreams conference, I said "I can't do that!" Then I decided I could, infact, do that. Josh called the next day and inquired about Courtney joining Emily, and when I told him I was thinking of going - it became a done deal. We had a BLAST!! I almost felt like it isn't allowable to have so much fun. After my stay with Jared and his fam, he took me to the train station and I rode the train from Lancaster, PA to NYC. It was so fast, and so relaxing. I got off the train at Penn Station and walked the few blocks to our hotel to meet up with Em. I felt like a giddy schoolgirl walking along 7th Ave in NYC! Courtney showed up shortly after me and we 3 hit the streets running. We took in Times Square, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral and did some shopping, then went back to our hotel to change for a Broadway Musical. We were having so much fun, we didn't care about food! How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) was Outstanding. Our seats were amazing and Radcliffe truly maintained star power. We ended the evening at an Irish Pub near our hotel where I enjoyed Bangers & Mash. Our hotel was literally 1 or 2 blocks in any direction from all the Broadway theaters. Crummy hotel, great location. (we did a bedbug check and pronounced the place "clean").
Next day we took an open double decker bus around downtown, saw most of the iconic NYC buildings, ate in little Italy (cannolis are terrific) and got to see the 9/11 Memorial from the Winter Garden in the World Financial Center. We were glad to be indoors for a bit, cuz we were drenched from a downpour. Em had to leave us to attend her conference, so Courtney and I had lunch at Bubba Gump's in Times Square. We then got on the Uptown tour bus and saw lots more of the iconic NYC buildings around Central Park.
Saturday we toured some more, and visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was so cool to hang out with Degas, Renoir, Rembrandt, Monet, and old Egyptian stuff. I found it remarkable how mankind is compelled to record and preserve their existence.
Saturday we shopped some more, saw Statue of Liberty and made an amazing Subway run back to Times Square and theater district to take in another Broadway Musical - Billy Elliot. Not such a great story, music was so,so, but the kids' dancing was truly amazing. Can't believe children have such talent and skill. We ended up our whirlwind few days visiting 5th Ave, FAO Schwarz, and taking a NYC cab to the airport. Thanks for the memories girlz - it was great! You can visit Courtney's blog for a more accurate accounting of how we spent our time. It's all kind of a blur to me now.

Giddy Girlz in Times Square


Filming The Good Wife at Rockefeller Center (this season episode 7)


9/11 Memorial from the World Financial Center Winter Garden


How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Daniel Radcliffe came out after the show to sign autographs. He so short!!


Out front of Radio City Music Hall. No Rockettes in sight!

0 comments: